Modelio 1.2 project migration¶
Modelio 1.2 projects can be migrated to Modelio 2.1.
The migration of diagrams requires additional operations due to a complete restructuring of the diagram format. These operations are not integrated in the standard migration provided by the application. In other words, if you open a Modelio 1.2 project in Modelio 2.1, your model data will be automatically migrated, but not your diagrams.
To migrate both your model data and your diagrams, please follow the procedure described in this page.
Diagram migration overview¶
Diagrams are migrated by specific modules which can be downloaded from the Modelio Store. This is based on a two-step process:
- Export your project diagrams from Modelio 1.2 into a data file.
- Import and migrate the data file in the Modelio 2.1 project.
The first step is carried out in Modelio 1.2 using the DiagExp-12-20 migration module.
The second and last step is run in Modelio 2.1 using the DiagImp-12-20 migration module.
To migrate both your model data and your diagrams, you should therefore carefully run this two-step process and not directly open your 1.2 project in Modelio 2.1. For those enthusiasts who have already opened their 1.2 project in Modelio 2.1, there is a recovery solution described at the end of this page.
- Download the DiagExp-12-20 and DiagImp-12-20 modules from the Modelio store.
- Run Modelio 1.2.3.
- Make sure that your Modelio 1.2 version is 1.2.3. If not, Modelio 1.2.3 must be installed.
- Open the project to migrate with Modelio 1.2.3.
- Deploy the DiagExp-12-20 module in the project.
- Run the “DiagExp-12-20 \ Export Diagrams” command from the project’s root package. This will generate a file containing the information necessary to diagram migration in a temporary directory.
- Close the Modelio 1.2.3 project and quit Modelio 1.2.3.
- Run Modelio 2.1.
- Make sure that your Modelio 2.1 version is 2.1.1. If not, Modelio 2.1.1. must be installed.
- Open the project that you want to migrate. Note that model data migration will start automatically. A backup copy of the Modelio 1.2.3 project is left in the project space.
- If relevant, deploy the necessary modules in the migrated project. Modules which provide model extensions (Stereotype, TagType, NoteType, etc.) are mandatory.
- Deploy the DiagImp-12-20 module.
- Run the “DiagImp-12-20 \ Import Diagrams” command from the project’s root package.
- The file generated by the DiagExp-12-20 module in step 2.4 is automatically used to rebuild the model’s diagrams.
The technologies used in Modelio 2.1 diagrams are very different from those used in Modelio 1.2, which means that 100%-faithful migration cannot be guaranteed. However, we can guarantee that no model data will be lost.
I already opened my 1.2 project in Modelio 2.1, what can I do?¶
If you have already opened your 1.2 project in Modelio 2.1 without following the process described above, you will have ended up with a Modelio 2.1 project in which the model data is OK but the diagrams cannot be opened. You can still migrate your diagrams but the process is a little trickier here.
- Close any Modelio (1.2 or 2.1) instances.
- In the project space of your project (the directory in which it is stored), find the backup copy of the project .ofp file left by the model data migration process. This file is named myproject.ofpx.old.
- For safety, save the myproject.ofpx file somewhere outside the project space.
- Change the name of the myproject.ofpx.old file to myproject.ofpx.
- At this stage you are back to the initial state of the migration procedure, in other words, your project is back to its initial 1.2 state.
- This time, carefully follow the procedure described in this page.